Laser treatment is not recommended for the patients who do not meet the criterias. Therefore, the success of refractive surgical operation completely depends on the individual eye structure of the patient.
Therefore, detailed pre examinations taking place before any surgical operation are actually as important as the surgery’s itself.
Pre examinations upon request, in Switzerland
Any patient applying for a refractive surgical operation by us has the opportunity to be examined by a doctor in Switzerland in pre-surgical period. Please do not forget that your eyes will be examined in details in Turkey, anyway. You may apply here.
Our authorized doctor in Zurich, Arbon or Berne is responsible for your pre examination. If you would like, you may also have your eyes examined somewhere else. This pre examination is not obligatory. If you have had your eyes examined before, you will not need to have this pre examination as your eyes will already be examined in Turkey, anyway.
Pre examination in Turkey
It is very important that the top layer of your cornea has a natural structure for this examination and the surgery.
Therefore, the soft lenses have to be removed two weeks before and rigid lenses have to be removed three weeks before. This is also valid for the examination and the pre examination that will take place in Turkey.
If you have your recent eyeglass prescription (or your eyeglasses) and/or your recent contact lenses prescription; then please bring it with you. Thus, your sight deficiency is evaluated more correctly.
What is exactly measured during the pre-examination in Turkey?
Pre examinations can actually last for about 2 hours. In the meantime, your eyes are checked in details and your sight deficiency is identified and measured by means of various methods. In addition, contraindications such as cataract and glaucoma are diagnosed and size of your cornea and pupil is exactly measured.
In case your eyes are available for a surgery, then you are informed about which methods are recommended for your eyes. In case your eyes are not suitable for a surgery, then you are recommended to give up such kind of treatment.
Before the Surgery
How can you contribute to the success of a surgery?
- Wash your face entirely.
- Please do not wear any make up or wear any perfume. Our male patients must not wear after-shave lotion.
- Prefer clothes in which you will comfortable
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages or caffeine.
- A good sleep is always advantageous
- In case you are very excited, please ask for a tranquilizer about 30 minutes before the surgery.
- Bring your sunglasses with you on the day of surgery.
During surgery (for laser eye surgery)
All surgeries are ambulatory, which is outpatient treatment. You have to remove your soft lenses two weeks before and your rigid lenses three weeks before.
- First of all, the area around the eye is cleansed and your face is covered with a sterile drape having holes in the area where your eyelids are. Then your eyelids are fixed via small ophthalmic medical equipment in order to ensure that you do not close your eyes suddenly or inattentionally.
- During surgery, you will feel no pain and you only feel that your eye is being touched.
- For a successful surgery, the only contribution you will make as a patient is to calmly follow your doctor’s instructions. An operation on both eyes takes between 8 and 10 minutes.
- After a short period of resting in the waiting room, doctor makes one last check.
- As your eyes will be very sensitive to light, make sure you wear your sunglasses.
- The best thing to do is to go back to your hotel, directly.
- Make sure you rest and keep your eyes closed as much as possible for 4 hours.
In post-surgical period, it is very natural to have a slightly blurry vision and slight lacrimation. After a couple of hours, your sight is restored enough and that means you no longer need to use eyeglasses or contact lenses. After a period of 4 or 8 weeks, eyesight is usually stabilized.
For the best result, it is recommended to follow the dates of your post-examinations indicated below:
- The first day following the surgery (in Turkey)
- About a week later
- 4 or 6 weeks later
- 3 months later if necessary
- 6 months or a year later if necessary
post examinations in Switzerland are included in our premium package and just like the pre examinations; these medical checks are done by our authorized eye doctor.
How can you help accelerating the healing process?
Your eyes need your support and therefore, please be careful about the below in your post-surgical period.
- Use your prescribed eye drops regularly.
- Do not rub your eyes on the first days of your post-surgical period.
- Make sure your eye does not contact with water while washing your face or having a shower.
- Do not wear eye-makeup during first weeks in post-surgical period.
- Until your eye doctor allows you to do, avoid going to swimming or a Turkish bath as well as heavy physical work.
- In case you have rheumatism, inform your doctor.
- Drive only when your surgical operation is successfully completed for both eyes and when your doctor clearly allows.
- Wear sunglasses if you feel disturbed by the sunlight during a couple of days. However, inform your doctor about any increasing sensitivity.
- Make sure you do not neglect your doctor appointments.
- In case you feel too much pain or have any sudden sight deficiency, immediately call your doctor.
In addition; please do not be involved in
- sports played with a ball or a team for 2 weeks
- martial arts for 4 weeks
- diving for 3 months
- atmospheres where you might be exposed to cigarette smoke
- any beach or mountain holiday on the first week, due to extreme sunlight beams
- solarium activity for 4 weeks